Wednesday 26 May 2010

Week four

This was a great week for stories and I felt we really got to see a lot more of each other. We had happy, sad, insightful, reminiscent, anticipatory, pretty much everything.

I was disappointed with my effort in advance but apart from struggling with the word limit I wasn't quite sure why. From the feedback I realised that there wasn't enough of me in it so it just wasn't authentic enough. Lucky I didn't finish it either as my ending was going to be quite dramatic and at the end Elise said how glad she was that no-one had been melodramatic. Thank goodness for that...

General points:
Be careful with titles - don't get journalistic
Be clear with words that indicate timings, e.g. 'became' 'I never'
Give equal weight to voices
Vulnerability of the author/narrator is very endearing. Laughing at oneself also
A one sided monologue with no response in the first person can throw a line out to the reader by using 'you', often used with dead people, way of continuing a rel that's stopped for some reason e.g. post relationship split up

Homework for this week:
LOVE: FALLING IN, FALLING OUT
750 words MAX
Write about falling in love, being in love, or falling out of it. You don’t have to write the events in chronological order (the sequential order of happening) but in whatever order makes a better story

No comments:

Post a Comment